Wednesday 22 November 2006

post one

I'm sitting in my room in North Wales preparing for an oral exam I have tomorrow in Spanish. I am nowhere near prepared for it, and I probably won't sleep tonight for worrying about it. I am tempted just to go to bed and leave it until the morning, but the exam is at 10am and I know I won't get up early enough.

I have never drunk so much juice in all my life. It'll all be worth it eventually though, when I finally get the good grades that I've been chasing all my life.

My car got vandalised today for the second time. I have never had this problem anywhere in Europe before, and it's a shame that it's happened here in North Wales because I am having such a wonderful time here. I have met so many interesting people and my studies are really interesting. I went to the local garage to pick up the parts I needed (last time it got vandalised, they bashed the hell out of it and stole the stereo, this time they stole the windscreen wipers and scratched the windscreen) and decided that my girlfriend (HP) and I could fit them ourselves. The instructions were non-existant, and we could not figure it out between us, so we headed back to the garage. It took the guy less than 30 seconds to fit all three. Never before have I felt like an inadequate woman. When we returned home, HP headed off to a lecture, and I had to restrained my flatmate and boyfriend, JB, from punching the people who live at number 11, as he thinks they are responsible. Honestly, I agree with him. They have never liked us, and always detested the fact that I park in front of their house, even though I have every right to do so, as there are no parking restrictions and they don't even own a car themselves. The car is now parked a mile up the road, in the only safe place in this town.

Have just watched a new programme on the shocking actrocities happening in North Korea. I can't understand how some humans can treat others. It makes me feel physically sick to think that people are being executed because they were fighting over bread. It does make me realise how lucky I am to be able to afford (to a certain extent) £30 to buy new wiper blades. My life and my troubles can be easily put into perspective. To think, I am sitting here worrying about an oral exam, when, on the other sided of the world, other are worrying about how they are going to feed their families tomorrow.

I currently feel very humble.

No comments: