Sunday 26 November 2006

post four

Tescos.

I hate the place. It's a vast, empty, unfriendly 'factory'. It doesn't sell everything; and what it does sell can always be found somewhere else for cheaper. It claims it is 'open 24 hours a day'; yet last weekend I got bullied out by several members of staff at 3.50pm in the afternoon. I have also witnessed several marriage break ups in there, somewhere between the vegetable and the alcohol aisles.

So why go there?

We appear as a nation to have grown accustomed to having everything in one place, and then some. We as consumers have far to much choice. For example, on the shelves right now are over 20 types of chocolate biscuits. Is that really neccessary? In my humble opinon no, unless you are planning an extravagant chocolate biscuit party.

By comparison, Lidl, which is a five minute walk (as opposed to a 10 minute car journey) doesn't have this choice. You want chocolate biscuits, here, have these ones and shut up. You leave having spent less than third than what you would have in Tescos (as there is no magazine section, DVD aisle, clothing racks or electrical equipment store. What is even more amusing, is that these products have been shipped across from Germany. My milk in Tescos has apparently come from Wales. So why is it 50p more?

I can moan and moan for hours about how much I hate Tesco and Sainsbury's and Asda and the like. There will never be an answer. Once they have managed to close down all the other local stores that I know I should frequent, there will be no choice any longer.

Tomorrows moan: SUVs and the idiots who drive them (only joking)

P.S. My mothers christmas present was purchased today at Tescos. She will be the proud owner of the new Trivial Persuit DVD game, as I saw it on the shelf and decided I could not be bothered to wait until nearer the end of December.

Hypocrite: yes.

No comments: