Thursday 3 January 2008

post thirty six - resolutions

Did anyone watch a program last night called Half Ton Mum?

Shocking.
I don't normally comment on these things but this seriously disgusted me.
She claimed that she didn't overeat, and somedays 'she had to force herself to eat because she knew that she had to eat something'. Everyone else said she overate. Alright, she was overweight as a child and that wasn't entirely her fault, but how can anyone get themselves into a position where they weight in at 64 stone?

I was in a serious car accident like she was. I LOST weight. Granted, I put it most of it back on again, but I cannot see how she how did it. Obesity baffles me.

They say that 'obesity is a disease'. I disagree. Eating shit food and not exercising is not a disease. Stop making up excuses.

Gastric Bypass Surgery is for those with more money than will power. Some people need this operation for real reasons. she could have lost the weight herself, if she really tried.

In case you didn't see it, the surgery was successful. She lost 4 stone in two weeks, but then suddenly had a heart attack and died. She was 29.

They then filmed this guy at the end who was getting help. He was 74 stone.
People are dying every day because they don't have enough to eat. And these people are killing themselves by eating too much.
What a waste.


This program was followed by 'My Fake Baby'. That was also disturbing.
God Bless Channel Four.

2 comments:

Han said...

Yes, I saw both! Of course I did, I love stuff like that!
I find the whole obesity thing quite complex as I have over-eaten since I was 11 (triggered by the move to France and the bullying)and so know it's not just a case of "just stop eating crap" but yes, she seemed very deluded and I hate how everyone thinks surgery is the answer. Just get yourself to Weight Watchers!

kitlizette said...

I know! I saw "the half ton mom" too, not all of it as I had to get away from the tv every now and then. Agree,it's weird there are people dying because lack of food, and at the same time people die because they eat too much.
Think its not as easy as one think , obesity is a disease, kind of, like.. anorexia, bulimia - a not normal relationship with food basically, and it takes a LOT of will power to get out of it.
However, the half ton mom claimed she was "normal" , I kind of got the impression she saw herself as a well functioning human being? A good mom? Hello? She wasn't a good mom, her kids had to feed her!!

Think sometimes people focus on something that takes their thoughts away from the real problem. The half ton mom should not be saying she was a good mom and "kind of could move" and didn't smell (Most people think fat people smell"? Do we?) she should have focused on her body weight and tried to eat healthier. That's it. BUt that's hard doing by yourself. Very hard.

I didn't watch that fake baby thing, had enough of ultra bizarre behaviour for one day by then.

Kit